"At a time when rock clichés were still being invented, [Ellen] Willis was already leaving them behind."
—Rob Sheffield, Rolling Stone
Please check out our new video for Out of the Vinyl Deeps: Ellen Willis on Rock Music, edited by Nona Willis Aronowitz, with a foreword by Sasha Frere-Jones and afterword by Daphne Carr and Evie Nagy. The video features the voice of Ellen Willis and interviews with Rollingstone.com editor-in-chief Nick Catucci, popular essayist and rock critic Robert Christgau, author and sociologist Donna Gaines, and author and teacher Courtney E. Martin.
* Publishers Weekly (starred review).
* The New Yorker, Q&A with Frere-Jones on Willis.
* NPR's All Things Considered: Ann Powers discusses Ellen Willis. Link includes excerpt from Willis's very popular essay on Bob Dylan.
* Entertainment Weekly. (Grade: A)
* AlterNet asks: Was Ellen Willis the best rock critic of all time?
* Inside Higher Ed.
* New York Press.
* Boston Globe: Her Mom Rocked and Wrote/Q&A with Nona Willis Aronowitz.
* Flavorwire compiles a list of 10 vital albums from Out of the Vinyl Deeps.
* Jezebel: Irin Carmon discusses the April 30th, 2011, Ellen Willis conference at NYU.
* Bitch magazine.
Read more in Out of the Vinyl Deeps: Ellen Willis on Rock Music.